I have just posted a review of this book on LinkedIn. Some of the main passages I highlighted were:
- The only way to get anyone to do anything is to make them want to do it
- The deepest urge in human nature is to be important
- A quote from Emerson: “Every man I meet is superior to me in some way”
- To influence people, talk about what they want, and how to get it
- Henry Ford: the secret to success is seeing the other person’s point of view
- “A man convinced against his will/Is of the same opinion still”
- People have two reasons for doing things: one that sounds good and the real one
- The way to get things done is to stimulate competition- not to make money but to excel
- Say “and” not “but”
- “Praise is like sunlight to the warm human spirit”
The book ends with an insight into what made Carnegie (and so many other people) so successful: the ability to speak in public, ‘a shortcut to distinction’, and praise totally disproportionate to merit!
Please have a look at the full review on my LinkedIn Reading List, and let me know what you think about HTWFAIP.