If you file your tax returns late HMRC will fine you unless you have a reasonable excuse to explain the late filing.
If you do file late, do not use the following failed excuses recently published by HMRC.
These are genuine failed claims used by taxpayers as a reasonable excuse.
1. My pet dog ate my tax return…and all the reminders.
2. I was up a mountain in Wales, and couldn’t find a postbox or get an internet signal.
3. I fell in with the wrong crowd.
4. I’ve been travelling the world, trying to escape from a foreign intelligence agency.
5. Barack Obama is in charge of my finances.
6. I’ve been busy looking after a flock of escaped parrots and some fox cubs.
7. A work colleague borrowed my tax return, to photocopy it, and didn’t give it back.
8. I live in a camper van in a supermarket car park.
9. My girlfriend’s pregnant.
10. I was in Australia.